Last week, we spent several days in Denmark in the remote south coast of Western Australia - one of the state's most beautiful spots. More than 20 came along to a Perth Media training session (facilitated by the Denmark Chamber of Commerce), and here are some of the tips we shared. Happy blogging!
1. Go with your strengths: vlog, pics, individuals in the team strengths, photos, writing.
2. The power of great writing is immense, to draw followers/customers.
3. Positivity important.
4. Sell your experiences.
5. Promote events. Events generate news/customers/drives economic development.
6. Design your blogs with your preferred social media in mind: instagram; twitter; facebook; linkedin..They all have different needs and different audiences, you can't tell/force your customers which social media to use.
7. Work out how to share your content.
8. Create content/blog calendar with deadline. Includes testimonials (3rd party endorsements); FAQs (frequency asked questions); video; long and short blogs. Blogs do not mean long columns. There maybe only one long blog each year, but make it a good well-written one.
9. Content strategy has to be responsive; constantly changing; has to be flexible, and needs to respond to audience.
10. Content strategy, needs to be seasonal. IE Christmas/Easter/Winter (bonfire themes; bushwalking); writers festival; Denmark Experience; Long table lunches; poetry/music festival, are examples. Festivals provide multiple ideas for content IE performer profiles; acts; reviews; insights of different skills for experiences, IE botanist walks; indigenous experts; cooks; films. Film tours/content on the back of Tim Winton’s Breath. Holiday packages around Breath tours.
11. Look into possibility of outsourcing editing. Don't be delusional about your own copy/editing skills. It will impact on your brand.
12. Quirky stories, are gold. ‘For outsiders everything is interesting,' says Creative and Digital consultant Andal Shreedaran at Perth Media. What is wonderful of Denmark and your own individual businesses?
13. Collaboration, collaboration, collaboration. For blog distribution and sharing the load for events.
14. Always check facts.
15. Understand copyright.
16. Build your own collection of images.
17. Use press release/presspack stories as blogs.
18. Read, read, read. Seek out good writing, understand the difference between good, mediocre and bad.
19. Read your own writing aloud. Make every word count. Be strict cutting, and work on making writing clear. Be descriptive but not flowery and over the top.
20. Volunteer for charity to get experience as a blogger. You can write the stories of those that need assistance, while you polish your craft.
21. Identify your passions, your strengths, your interests.
22. Tell only best stories, and start with the very best one first. Focus also on the opening para.
23. Understand google rankings and the reason blogs impact on business sales.
24. Develop relationships with other companies/bloggers/publications.
25. Understand importance of themes in content creation and promotions.
26. Do something every day, as part of your BD.
27. Appeal to different target markets of your products. IE kid friendly; backpackers.
28. Content strategy: incorporate key words, such as ‘Denmark’ ‘tourism’.
29. The only thing stopping you writing and promoting your business is you.
Or too busy, call Perth Media now. We can help with a content package right now! firstname.lastname@example.org